Instagram is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms and has provided brands with ample opportunities to market their products. Over the last couple of years, the social media giant has dwelled heavily on influencer marketing, sponsored, and shopping ads, making it a popular marketplace amongst consumers and D2C brands alike.
Earlier, we detailed everything there is to know about Google Shopping ads. In this guide, we will cover Instagram Shopping and how your business can use it to drive conversions.
The comprehensive guide covers-
1) What is Instagram Shopping
2) Benefits of Instagram Shopping
3) How to set up Instagram Shopping
4) Best practices for Instagram Shopping
Before we move on to the process of managing Instagram Shopping campaigns, here is a quick description of what exactly is Instagram shopping.
This can help brand in two broad ways:
- Potential customers can quickly learn about the product
- Seamless transaction process (Customers can purchase directly via Instagram Checkout or click through the website link) boosts sales
Earlier, brands could only drive sales via Instagram from their bio link or clickable Instagram stories.
Now with Instagram Shopping brands can now increase sales with features like:
- Instagram Shop
- Product Details Page
- Shopping Tag
- Shop Discovery tab
What are Shopping Tags?
As the name suggests, the shopping tags feature allows you to tag products on:
– Instagram stories
– Instagram posts
– Sponsored Ads
While your potential audience is scrolling through their feed, they can click on the shopping tag to
-learn more about the product and/or
-buy it directly from Instagram (using Checkout feature) or complete the transaction on your website.
Here is an example of a Shopping tag-
From the Shopping tag posts, users can also browse your Instagram Shop.
What is an Instagram Shop?
Put simply, your Instagram Shop is similar to a website landing page where customers can browse products, explore collections, and buy.
Here’s how Chumbak’s Instagram shop looks like:
What are Collections?
You all are familiar with eCommerce brand websites having multiple categories like Handmade Pottery, Summer Collection, etc on their channel. This helps shoppers search for relevant products easily, and also increases the chances of cross-selling.
Collections solve the same purpose on Instagram. With the Collections feature, you can group your products into different categories like new arrivals, gifts, seasonal trends, etc.
To help you understand this clearly, here is an example of GoPro’s Instagram Collection:
What is the Product Details Page?
Your product details page covers all important product information like item price, image, and description. It also pulls in any product-tagged images on Instagram.
One good example of this can be of beauty brand Glossiers.
Their shoppable posts have tags of multiple products they sell, and each has their own product details page.
What is Checkout with Instagram?
Earlier, the Checkout with Instagram feature allows users to finish their purchase from top brands like Adidas, Kylie Cosmetics, Warby Parker, etc without leaving the app. The feature is now available to brands of all stature. The checkout tag appears on feed posts, stories, and Explore content.
What is Shop Discovery tab?
The shop Discovery tab helps brands reach out to non-followers. With this feature, users can scroll through products sold by multiple brands on a single screen.
Here is an example of a Shop Discovery tab:
Benefits of Instagram Shopping
eCommerce brands have increased their digital sales significantly over the past few years and they are using social media for promotion. Now with Instagram Shopping in picture, they can get visible results from their promotional efforts.
Here’s how it helps them boost sales:
- Shortens buyer journey: Allows users to buy products with minimal clicks and easy checkout.
- Instagram Shopping leverages influencer marketing: Earlier with Instagram marketing, users could only know about your brand and boost your engagement. However, now brands can integrate Instagram shop into influencer marketing to drive sales directly
- Authentic Advertising: Online shoppers trust the authenticity and rely on user-generated content before making purchase decisions. Brands can now integrate all the UGC with shopping tags to boost sales.
- Visual Marketing and Easy Product Discoverability: It is a known fact that visual posts attract more attention and engagement. With Instagram Shop you can create visuals for shoppable posts to boost sales. Users can click on the tag and have a quick
How to set up Instagram Shopping
You can set-up an Instagram Shopping account and drive digital sales in 4 simple steps.
Step 1: Switch to a Professional Account
On Instagram Account select “Switch to Professional Account” option. The Professional account can help you devise better marketing strategies and boost sales with features like Instagram Shopping, Insight Analytics, and adding contact button to name a few.
Step 2: Link your official Facebook account with Instagram Shop.
You can do this with three links:
- Go to “Edit Profile” section on Instagram
- Following Public Business Information, select page.
-Connect your Facebook Business Page
Step 3: Upload product catalog
Once you have connected your Facebook page with Instagram, you need to upload your product catalog in Instagram to start selling.
There are options available for uploading product catalog in Instagram.
Option 1 – Upload products manually from Facebook business catalog
Option 2 -Connect your account with your storefront (Shopify, BigCommerce, etc.)
Here’s a step-by-step process of creating a catalog using both options.
Option 1: Facebook Business Catalog Manager
- On your Facebook Business account, go to the Commerce Manager.
- Click Get Started and then select Create a Catalog/
3. Select the eCommerce (products) option and click “Next”.
4. Select the Upload Product Info option.
5. Assign catalog to your Business Manager account.
6. Enter catalog name
7. Click Create.
8.On Commerce Manager, select your catalog.
9. Navigate to items on the “Catalog” tab.
10. Select Add Items, then Add Manually, and hit next.
11. Upload product images (minimum image size is 500 x 500 pixels).
12. Enter product details like name, description, title, etc.
13. Select your product category in the Item Category section.
14. Under Create Variants, add differents sizes or colors if desired.
15. Click Finish. Start the same process from Step 12 to add another item.
Option 2: Integrate an Ecommerce Database
1. Log into Commerce Manager.
2. Open the Catalog tab and then click on Data Sources.
3. Select Add Items, then Use a Partner Platform, and click next.
4. Select your storefront.
5. Follow the link to your partner platform website and complete the remaining steps there to integrate your account with Facebook.
Step 3: Get your account reviewed
After uploading a product catalog, you need to submit your account for review. The review process generally takes a couple of days, but sometimes it may run longer.
You can refer to the Commerce Eligibility Requirements here.
Step-by-step process for account review-
- Go to Instagram profile settings
- Select Sign Up for Instagram Shopping
- Follow steps required for submitting account for review
- Check application status from the Shopping setting
Step 4: Turn on Instagram Shopping
Connect your product catalog with Instagram Shop after your
- Instagram profile settings >> Business >> Shopping.
- Select product catalog
- Click Done.
Tips and Tricks for effective Instagram Shop
Keep in mind the below checklist to make the most out of your Instagram Shop.
1. Post your product regularly. Decide on what day(s) of the week you will post your products so that community members also build a habit of looking at your products regularly.
2. Behind the scenes posts. This helps your community understand the entire process behind creating a product, creates a sense of belonging and boosts engagement.
3. Use a backdrop. Like I mentioned earlier, Instagram attracts users because of visual marketing. To make your product stand out, use a backdrop (white or patterned wall, or a piece of fabric) that goes well with your product image.
4. Use Flatlay. Flatlay is an aerial shot of multiple products laid out together on a flat surface.
5. Show product variations. Display all your product options like different sizes, colors, etc so that customers have a wide range of options to choose from.
6. Create Story Highlights. This helps in highlighting certain products on your profile.
7. Encourage interaction. Use the question sticker in your stories to open it up to user questions. This helps potential customers learn more about your products easily and builds confidence to make an online purchase.
8. Promote User Generated Content (UGC). When customers tag your products in their Instagram posts or video, ask their permission to reshare on your Instagram business account.
9. Use Instagram Live Shopping Stream. You can sell your products directly from your Live Broadcast to boost sales.
10. Use Promotional Codes. Promotional campaigns can help your brand to increase sales. Mention your promotional code in the Instagram posts so that customers can easily use it.
With Instagram users increasing globally, shopping on Instagram is swiftly getting mainstream and the promising exponential growth has essentially made it a prominent part of omnichannel selling.